UNICEF: Education officer in support of Global Partnership for Education (GPE) Coordination in Zanzibar
Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Given the expanding role of the Coordinating Agent [CA] in the coordination of GPE activities and considering decentralization by devolution policy recently adopted in Zanzibar, the UNV will work to provide technical support and assistance in facilitating implementation of the GPE project in Zanzibar under the leadership of the UNICEF Chief of Education, the UNICEF Education Specialist in Zanzibar and in support of the Government. The UNV will support, coordinate and facilitate the development partners’ engagement with the GPE, and thereby serves as the communication link between the Local Education Group, UNICEF and the GPE Secretariat. The UNV will work collaboratively with the Grant Agent [GA], Ministry of Education and Vocational Training [MoEVT], Ministry of Finance [MoF] and President’s Office Regional Administration Local Government and Special Department [PORALGSD] in coordinating GPE roles. His/her work will also involve day to day follow up and provision of technical support in the implementation of the GPE Programme in Zanzibar.
Overall the successful candidate will support GPE Coordination in Zanzibar. Specifically, in consultation with the Chief of Education, Chief of Zanzibar Field Office and Education Specialist in Zanzibar the UNV will have the following specific tasks:
- Support Local Education Group (LEG) dialogue on Education Sector Plan implementation progress and challenges.
- Support government in coordination and monitoring of GPE project and addressing implementation issues by ensuring timely project implementation.
- Support government in the preparation of Joint Sector Reviews (JSRs) and facilitates JSR Aide Memoire and ensures it is shared with the Secretariat along with reports on sector implementation.
- Support coordination and monitoring implementation of ongoing GPE activities at the MoEVT and PORALGSD and ensure quality according to national standards.
- Provide support to the Monitoring and Evaluation Section of the MoEVT in the preparation of the various implementation reports including quarterly and annual progress reports.
- Engage with MoEVT, PORALGSD, and LGAs on upstream and downstream activities related to GPE implementation.
- Support capacity building of MoEVT, PORALGSD and LGAs staff on monitoring, quality reporting and development of Terms of References and concept notes.
- Provide inputs in the implementation reports and proposals as per the need.
- Other education-related duties based on the scope of work mentioned above.
Bachelor degree or equivalent
University Degree in Education, Early Childhood Development, Social Sciences, Psychology, or other relevant to international development/social science field related to the technical field is required.
Up to two years progressively, responsible professional work experience at national and international levels in programme planning and management in related field with emphasis on Education, Education in Emergencies and integrated early childhood development programs.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Kiswahili(Mandatory), Level – Working Knowledge
Education policy and planning, curriculum development and teacher training
- Understanding of national and international targets (SDGs) and Zanzibar Education system
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate with County-Level Government
- Planning and monitoring skills; ability to organize work and projects.
- Ability to make timely and quality judgments and decisions and to work as a team under pressure
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
- Ability to work at sub-national and community levels especially
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Empowering Others, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Knowledge Sharing, Managing Performance, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
Child Protection and Social Policy Officer at UNICEF February, 2020
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Candidates from Zanzibar will be given priority as the duty station is in Zanzibar.
Application deadline: 18 February 2020